Thursday, April 1, 2010

Raw Balls


Ok, my latest addiction is a fairly healthy one. Raw and vegan balls from the cookbook "The Kind Life". Simply put, they taste like cookie dough! Who doesn't like that. In the picture I got really fancy. I made some cacao and some plain then I rolled them into combo rolls.

The recipe is as follows:

1 cup walnuts/pecans/cashews
1 cup pitted dates
1 cup carob or cacao powder (optional)
3/4 cup maple syrup or brown rice syrup
1 cup almond butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole almonds
shredded unsweetened coconut flakes

Process walnuts in food processor till coarsely ground. Add dates and pulse until well combined. Add carob powder, syrup, almond butter, vanilla and salt. Process until think and smooth. Add the almonds and pulse a few times, until combined; you want them to remain in crunchy chunks. Form the mixture into golf-ball-size-balls with your hands (I use latex gloves, it is messy!). Roll the balls in coconut and place in a sealed container in the freezer or fridge. I prefer the freezer method and the hubby likes the refrigerator way! Enjoy !!

No comments:

Post a Comment